Alexa meets HomePass—so you can control your WiFi with your voice
by Plume Marketing TeamDecember 2021
One of the biggest benefits of being a HomePass member is enjoying the new and updated features that roll out automatically from the Plume Cloud—no action required on your part. Today, we are excited to announce the launch of the Plume skill for Amazon Alexa under our new service suite, Command. You can now easily manage your network with a seamless integration between your HomePass membership and Alexa-enabled device. For years, Alexa has been a trusted AI assistant to play your favorite music, answer your burning questions, and help you stay connected with loved ones. Now you can control your WiFi network with just your voice thanks to Amazon Alexa and HomePass.
You can now say, "Alexa, ask Plume to..." Freeze devices and set schedules: Command enables you to easily pause internet access for any of your WiFi-connected devices. For example, "Alexa, ask Plume to pause the internet on Owen's computer." Check network speeds: Quickly run a speed test to verify you're getting the network data you're paying for. For example, "Alexa, ask Plume what my network speed is." Find connected pods: Make sure your devices are connected to your WiFi pods for optimal network access and speed. For example, "Alexa, ask Plume which pod my iPhone is connected to."
What does this mean for me?
To get the most out of this integration between your HomePass membership and Alexa, we recommend you:
- Set up profiles for each home resident in your app and assign devices to them.
- Create unique but simple names for your devices so you can easily remember them when you give commands.
- Switch off private networks on your devices to help you more easily manage and control them.
How do I enable this feature?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to connect your HomePass membership with your Alexa-enabled devices:
- Open your Amazon Alexa app.
- Go to Alexa Skills and search for the Plume Skill.
- Enable the Plume Skill.
- Link the Plume Skill by signing into your Plume account with your Plume credentials.
- Select the location you want to connect your Amazon Alexa to. You will only be able to use Amazon Alexa with this selected location.
- Authorize Amazon Alexa to be linked to your HomePass account.
- Upon successfully connecting your Plume Skill with Amazon Alexa, return to the HomePass app.
- Go to the Command page, where the status under Amazon Alexa should say, "Connected."
The future of easy network management
At Plume, we're continually rolling out updates to improve your smart home experience. This integration is just the latest update to help you enjoy more seamless, hands-free network management across your profiles and devices. Stay tuned for more exciting launches!